On Tuesday, January 23rd, Ottobock came to our Rochelle Park location to train our practitioners on the most advanced prosthetic foot currently on the market, the Empower Ankle. The Empower Ankle provides propulsion at the end of stance phase. This helps to power the amputee up hills, ramps and stairs. In addition to the powered push off, there is also powered dorsiflexion. This helps the user clear the ground with their prosthetic foot during swing phase. Aside from all of the powered features, by normalizing ones gait, the Empower Ankle helps to reduce the forces placed on other joints thus helping to reduce future orthopedic problems. If you would like to see if this technology is right for you, contact our office and set up your consultation today.
Empower is the next generation design of the BiOM Ankle and still the only prosthesis with powered propulsion. It is characterized by the following clinically proven features:
- Emulates the function and power of lost muscles and tendons (1)
- Provides energy instead of taking it away – even up ramps, hills and stairs (1,6)
- Life-like ankle movement that normalises userʼs walking gait (4)
- Reduces joint forces which may result in less pain and fewer long-term orthopaedic problems (1,2,5)
- Adjusts ankle power, resistance and flexion in real-time
- Provides balance on variable terrain (3)